Here is my first make as part of project #sewmystyle
The first pattern was toaster sweater 2 by Sew House Seven. This is not a pattern I would automatically choose myself. However, the whole point of completing this challenge is to move out of my comfort zone!
I chose a red jersey fabric from a local haberdashery. This fabric was sturdy, which works well to maintain the neck collar.
The instructions are detailed well. I used the pdf version to save money and found that using a guillotine sped along the cut and stick stage!
Another new product I tested with this make is using carbon paper, which revolutionised the cutting stage! It is much faster as I did not have to trace my size and then cut it out before pinning it on. Tilly and the Buttons have a great tutorial on how to use it here.
This was my third attempt with knit fabrics and I decided to use my overlocker for the seams round the shoulders and down the sides. I was quite nervous using it as it trims at the same time, leaving little margin of error! However, it does a great job as it feels less like you are going to stretch the garment out of shape! It’s very quick too.
The main issue I had was with using a twin needle. I adjusted the tension and used knit hemming tape alongside a walking foot, but I think that a stretch or ball point twin needle was needed.
I wasn’t sure about the dropped hem at the back, but now it’s made, I like this feature.
Overall, it was a great make and I look forward to starting February’s garment; the fabrics ready and waiting!