Today I am excited to (finally) share a tutorial I filmed a while back! It’s a water bottle carrier which I use practically every day. I thought it might help someone else who would like one or wants a gift idea!
Over the summer you can find me wondering over what to make for my nieces for their birthdays. Fortunately, I have been rather lucky in finding some relevant patterns recently.
Crafting with a chronic illness can be a bit of a roller coaster for some. One day, your hobby is a lifeline, providing you with a focus and keeping your mind in the present, the next it is exacerbating your symptoms.
Three years ago, I was diagnosed with Non-Radiographic Ankylosing Spondylitis (which I will refer to as AS from now on). At the time, it was almost a triumph because it had been a long year of visit various health professionals and being able to put a name to the symptoms provides a grounding in a way. That is, of course, until you have to acknowledge that it is something that is not going to go away and will affect you for the rest of you life.
I thought it might be useful to share what I have found helpful for my circumstance in case it is also useful for someone else. Everyone is different though, so you must keep problem solving until you find your own strategies.
Meet my most recent random purchase! To be honest, I’ve been keeping a lookout for a spinning wheel for well over a year, but as I’ve never used one, didn’t want to cough up too much money on a brand new one.
February has whizzed by, and I was slightly concerned about getting the second Sew my Style make made in time for the end of the month! However, I did not have to worry as it turned out to be a relatively simple make, even if it was with knit fabric.
Recently I attended a day workshop on how to build your own frames. It’s not something that is necessarily feasible for me at the moment, but it’s definitely something I would like to try in the future.
I’ve been enjoying a bit of dressmaking this month and am finally cutting into some fabrics I bought in one go for numerous projects. One piece of fabric was some navy polka dot cotton bought especially for the ivy pinafore pattern by Jennifer Lauren.
One worry I had at the very beginning was that I didn’t have enough fabric. The pattern for view 1 advises to purchase 150cm wide fabric, and my own fabric was 115cm after pre-washing. However, my fabric did not have a one way nap or design, so i was able to re-jig the cutting layout plan, which reduced fabric waste as well. I may have enough to make a tote bag too at some point!
I still have my stash of ceramic buttons from taking pottery classes last year, and have only used one so far, so I wanted to use some of these if possible for the fastenings. The pattern suggests larger buttons, and I was worried that they wouldn’t be big enough. However, I left worrying about this until the button hole stage came up, and decided that my own buttons would work well. It’s a real buzz to see my own handmade buttons on a garment!
I selected a traditional lining fabric for the lining, as I wanted this make to work well with tights, leggings or jeggings. It was a little tricky to work with, and I ended up hemming the lining by hand, but I think it means I will get a lot more use out of it!
It’s a real joy to wear this garment. It’s loose fittings with seam pockets, which makes it a great lazy Sunday wear when all I want to do is sit in my rocking chair and knit or crochet with a cup of tea! I can imagine wearing it out on a walk too, when I am on the hunt for discarded rusty items to use when rust dyeing! It’s definitely a make reserved for my days off!
I’ll have to try out the gable top sometime soon as I only have one top that goes nicely with this pinafore! The gable top has a high neckline, which works well with this style of pinafore. Looks like I will be getting the walking foot and ball point needles out very soon!
One of my goals is to use up my stash for smaller items and gifts before purchase more fabric. For a friend’s Christmas gift, I followed this aim and found some fabrics to use.
Following a guide from Love Sewing Magazine (issue 01), I cut 4 rectangles of cotton fabric, two in each fabric choice, and then stitched them together to create a loop scarf.
One issue with using the stash is finding two fabrics which work well together. Although the purpose of the scarf is to have the option of two different looks, I didn’t want the fabric choices to clash too badly if you could see them both.
This was a nice simple pattern to follow and I am quite surprised at how warm a scarf made from dress cotton fabric can be!