Here is my pattern review for the shortie PJs from the Make it Simple book!
- Name: Juno PJs
- Variation: Shorts and short sleeved – with cuffs from Tabitha variation
- Design House: Tilly and the Buttons / Tilly Walnes’ book Make it Simple
- Size I made: 4
I used up some yellow ponte fabric which I originally used for my yellow Kinder cardigan for the shorts. The top was made from a nice single knit fabric I found in my local Trago shop. The yellow ribbing was from My Fabrics.
I found this a nice simple make overall and would recommend to confident beginners. The only bit which may be tricky is the neckband as it may need adjusting. I followed the practice I learned from another pattern where you machine tack the neckband on to begin with to check it isn’t too baggy before going for it with a smaller stitch or overlocker! It turned out I didn’t need to adjust it but it is good to be safe.
The waistband on the shorts is made in a similar fashion to the neckband. I was concerned that I might find this a bit tricky as it can be easy to stretch elastic inconsistently, but it turned out to be fine.
For the shorts, you must adjust the trouser pattern from the trouser version, but the instructions on how to do this are really clear and I found this very easy to do.
For the shorts, I followed the longhand instructions. For the top, I followed the checklist instructions, but referred to the longhand version as required. Both sets of directions were clear.
Design and Fit
I’m happy with the fit. As it is made from a knit fabric, I didn’t worry about adjusting it. There are clear instructions on how to measure out the elastic for the waistband.
You decide how long the shorts are, so I opted for and inside leg seam of 12cm, which I think is about double the version shown. This length is just right for me; not too short and not too long.
I think the ribbed cuffs on the top are a nice addition and complements the shorts.
The book suggests 50 minutes to cut out and 2 hours to make. I took 1 hour 30 minutes to cut out and 3 hours to make.
I couldn’t cut my shorts on the fold as I was using a remnant, and I added the cuffs to the sleeves, which probably added a bit of time onto the total. However, I think I am just a slower sewist than those that helped create the guide times!
I’m happy with the end result and I might made the Tabitha t-shirt on its own one day as it would go under dungarees or a pinafore nicely. It is like the Peak t-shirt by Wendy Ward in that you can embellish it and adapt it to your own style. I think I will add a bit of embroidery on the top soon to give it a bit more character.
You can watch my related video below: