#miymarch16 may have been a couple of months ago, but here are the resulting images I posted from it below.
Make it Yourself March is an Instagram event. It involves posting an image based on the daily photo prompt – a list can be found on Wendy Ward’s blog from this year.
New to Instagram, I found this event coincided beautifully with a couple of my goals – to become more familiar with using social media and to push myself to create more. It was a great way to be inspired by fellow dressmakers.
Instagram is an easy form of social media if you have a smart phone and I’ve carried on using it since.
During March, I made 4 dressmaking items, completed upcycling projects, planned future projects, made gifts and machine embroidered.
I’ve been taking part in Make it Yourself March on Instagram this month by Wendy Ward and Emma Miles, which encourages you to post a sewing related photo every day in March based on a daily theme.
Within week one, I realised that I hadn’t made a dress in over a year. To remedy this, my partner chose a pattern from my hoard – Simplicity 3833 – and suggested a fabric he found in my stash. This is indeed a stashbusting project as it’s a remnant I picked up a year or so ago and I only just about had enough material to make it!
I really liked using this pattern. The instructions were clear to follow in general. I got a little bit confused on the zip directions, but then I tend to get confused when it comes to the zip stage whatever the project or pattern!
I chose the sleeve option. I like sleeveless dresses and I think the sleeveless option would turn out great but I chose sleeves to practise them! Considering this is my second attempt at sleeves, I’m quite chuffed! I did forget to trace and tailor tack a couple of reference points on the sleeves template which didn’t help but I just gave it a go!
A new technique I learned with this pattern was understitching, which I had not heard of before but is great as it stops the interfacing rolling out on display on the neckline. The pattern gave clear directions on this, but I checked online to ensure I understood it correctly.
This is the first time I’ve been able to use my tailor’s dummy for one of its main purposes – to assist with hemming! It was invaluable. I pinned where I wanted the length of the dress to finish and then used the pinned line as a guide to press and hem the length.
I would use this pattern again – perhaps using the sleeveless design or going for the longer sleeved version to vary it.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.